The ellipse Prize: Call for Application
The ellipse Prize is an art competition established by ellipse art projects to highlight artistic creation on French territory focussing on a different country or culture in each edition. The goal of this project is to support collective awareness about the surrounding environment using messages conveyed by artists. Art is fundamental to deal with essential subjects. Improving access to culture for as many as possible is a means of sensibility and innovation awakening.
The ellipse Prize wants to help artists mobility to share their work and to upgrade their creative thinking with meetings with other like-minded creators from different cultures. It is crucial to support them in a more globalised world where economic and social disparities are growing.
Across this program, ellipse art projects is committed to facilitate an artist to gain access to international networks through an artistic residency and an exhibition in France every year.
Senegal is the country selected for the First 2021 edition
ellipse art projects has decided to focus the First Edition for African artists based in Senegal. Applications are open ; from the 1st April 2021 until the 15th May 2021 (11:59 pm). Simply download the application rules and register via the application form tab. Applications sent by email will not be accepted.
Eligibility requirements and selection for the ellipse Prize
The applications call is open to :
- every African artists based in Senegal
- aged between 18 and 35 at application closing date (15th May 2021)
- whose practice is dedicated to visual arts
- not represented by a gallery but can have realised collaborations previously
To apply, candidates must fill in the application form made up of :
- an administrative part : general informations
- an artistic part : portfolio, with no thematic requirement, and research task for the artistic residency inspired by a theme which will be announced at the launch of the call
Selection in two stages by an international, professional jury :
- first stage : selection of five artists
- second stage : selected artists advocate for their project through videoconferencing and the announcement of the winner
Portfolios and research works are reviewed strictly according to the achievement, quality of the work, the theme of the work and the work’s innovative nature.
See the competition rules at the end of this article for more informations
Endowment of the ellipse Prize
The winner benefits from :
- a three months artistic residency at la Cité internationale des arts in Paris, including a live-in studio place made up of a furnished living and working space (work space, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, wifi internet connection)
This program is made up of :
- a round trip ticket from Dakar to Paris (including VISA and travel insurance)
- a 800 euros grant per month living expenses
- a production grant, according to the residency project
- a professional and artistic support
- a presentation of them and their work during the AKAA (Also Known As Africa) international contemporary art fair in Paris
- a media campaign to support every step of the competition giving high visibility to candidates
- Applications call 2021 – from April the 1st to May the 15th 2021 (before midnight, 11:59 pm)
- First jury meeting : five artists short-listed/selected – at the end of May / beginning of June 2021
- Second jury meeting : selected artists advocate for their project through videoconferencing – mid-June 2021
- Announcement of the winner – mid-June
- Artistic residency – from October the 4th to December the 27th 2021
- Exhibition of the artists’ work – November 2021
*Dates will be susceptible to change depending on Covid sanitary crisis and to general measures announced by the French government that may affect travel arrangements.